So, first up, really important to say that this is an adapted recipe (because that’s what I do) from Jamie Oliver – sorry Jamie! Secondly, these are the cookies that my daughter’s boyfriend said “after careful consideration, I have concluded that the Devil’s cookies are the best cookies” – lol.
The full recipe can be found in Jamie’s Comfort Food, and I’ve included the link below for you.
Sooooo, these cookies are super yummy, chewy and just awesome. I’m sending some into my daughter’s office because I daren’t have anymore! If you’re happy to give my ones a go, then the ingredients and steps are included below.
- 50 grams unsalted butter – I use lurpak, but any will do
- 200 grams quality dark chocolate – I always use Bournville
- 1 x 396 gram tin of condensed milk
- 1 sachet or 32 grams of Horlicks Light Malt
- 200 grams of self-raising flour
- 100 grams of Maltesers crushed
I am a very bad person. In the recipe it says to melt the butter and chocolate in a pan on a low heat, and you can of course, but I…..
- Put the butter and the chocolate into a bowl and then put it in the microwave on 40 second bursts, stir every 40 seconds until melted
- Then transfer into a large baking bowl, and add the condensed milk and Horlicks
- Add the flour, a pinch of salt and mix together
- Put clingfilm on the bowl and pop it into the fridge for 30 minutes
- Get a cup of tea 🙂
- After 30 minutes, remove from the fridge and stir in the crushed Maltesers and make sure it’s combined
- Put the oven on 180
I use an ice-cream scoop for this next stage for consistency of size and shape, it’s up to you.
- One ice-cream scoop’s worth onto a silicone mat on a baking sheet until you have about six evenly spaced apart – I have two on the go when I’m making cookies
- Once you’ve done that, Jamie recommends flattening each of the balls a little bit and I did do this bit and it worked out just fine
- Pop them into the oven for 12 minutes, rotating the tray at the half-way point) that’s what I do as my oven is fan-assisted
- Once the time is up, let them cool down for about 15 minutes and transfer to a wire rack a la photo below
Finally, I just got some Hershey’s chocolate flavour syrup, I bought mine from Amazon at:
And gently (because it comes out quickly from the bottle) drizzle over some syrup and job’s done.
Wash down with a large cup of tea!